Skip to main content

Daily News

Project Acronym: HSDPD | State: Completed | Expedition ID: 5053

ins.: 2014-11-12 22:00; ( Age: 9 yrs )
By: RSS Feed
Category: HSPDP
HSPDP

HSPDP: 2014-11-13

Things improved lithologically right after we decided we would have ...
ProjectLogo

Things improved lithologically right after we decided we would have to move. We started digging water sumps at a new more distal site and made the decision to continue drilling at the first site while the sumps were under construction. However during that time we started getting into much better (mud-rich) sections with less sand so are continuing at the first site for as long as possible. As of yesterday we were down to 142 meters! Material is mostly clay with occasional sand layers and we've encountered at least one thick tephra! Recovery in clays has been good, recovery in sand has been poor- as expected. Now that the formation is drilling nicely-water supply has now become a problem. It's a long supply line to our water source 2 hours away from the site.